Compex Muscle stimulation (NMES) update #2 (4 weeks into training)

So it's week 4 of training with the Compex

Update:

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) -

This is still occurring although it is manageable and I haven't needed to use the recovery setting so much.

Strength:

So obviously I had some big gains in the first 2 week and this has slowed, which is to be expected. 

Week 4:

Ex
Start
Wk 2
Wk 4
Deadlift

90KG
105KG

(17% increase)
115KG

(9.5% increase from week 2)

(28% increase from baseline)

Seated
Dumb
bell
shoulder
press
16.5KG
19KG

(15% increase)
21.5KG

(13% increase from week 2)

(30% increase from baseline)

Lat Pull down

50KG
70KG

(40% increase)
75KG

(7% increase from week 2)

(50% increase from baseline)



So I have managed to surpass Compex's prediction of a 27% increase in strength with 28% at worst and 50% at best strength gains in 4 weeks and this is with 8 to go!!!

The Compex itself:

So not much has changed except the muscle contraction strength is the limiting factor now rather than the electricity itself. I have been able to increase intensity.

Another question: Can the Compex make me lift more while it is contracting with me?


At first I thought that it might be able to do this, as theoretically it should be able to recruit more motor units than you can voluntarily but I don't think it works in practice. This is because an eccentric contraction requires less force than a concentric one. So for example, if the intensity was so high on a squat that it could push you back up then you can't get down in the first place. I have encountered this on my squats making it impossible to descend my squat. I turned it up so high that with the weight on a barbell I just couldn't unlock my knees and descend. 

But..

Maybe it can work with one rep on a deadlift but you would have to drop the weight at the top as you would still be unable to lower it back to the floor.




Is there another way around this though?


Maybe? The newer units have got an ability to program them so I don't know yet but if you could set it at an intensity than was just enough to eccentrically lower for 1-2 seconds and then fire up to an intensity that can concentrically raise you back up for 1-2 seconds then repeat and finish after the reps you want to do, then you are in business. 

(Possibly?) 

Why possibly? 

Because I'm not sure yet, if you can tolerate this level of muscular contraction. However if you could and you did this progressively then you could train heavier and the strengthening effect would be better than you could normally achieve.

I have just ordered a newer unit so will experiment more with the programming element and will report back.


See you in 2 weeks for my next update!



Telephone: 01782 771861
Mobile: 07866195914
Email: mathewhawkesphysiotherapy@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Due to the various advantages of physiotherapy treatment, it is highly recommended these days. People who want to go for physiotherapy treatment and looking for the best Physiotherapist in Punjab then they must visit our website. Here at our center, we offer best treatments at very affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and Excellent Post.
    It is helpful to every one. I am looking your another valuable post.
    Thanks for sharing with with us.
    Quality physiotherapy in Noida

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The case of the clicky hip (AKA: Snapping hip syndrome)

Patella Tendinopathy

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome