Compex Muscle stimulation (NMES) update #3 (6 weeks into training)

So it's week 6 of training with the Compex

Update:

So I got myself a new unit:

The Theta Chattanooga Compex with Mi sensor leads:




DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) -

The training must still be hard as I'm still getting this and I am using the recovery and massage setting as required. i have noticed that lots of elite athletes use the Compex this way so why not!

Strength:

So still going but slowing progress at this point

Week 6:

Timeframe
Deadlift
Seated Dumbbell
shoulder
press
Lat Pull down
Start
90KG

16.5KG

50KG

2 weeks
105KG
(17% increase)


19KG
(15% increase)

70KG
(40% increase)

4 weeks
115KG
(9.5% increase from week 2)
(28% increase from baseline)
21.5KG
(13% increase from week 2)
(30% increase from baseline)

75KG
(7% increase from week 2)
(50% increase from baseline)

6 weeks
120KG
(33% from baseline)

23KG
(39% from baseline)
77.5KG
(55% from baseline)

So at half way I have managed to increase by 33% at worst and 55% at best!!


To answer the question from the previous article:

"Can the Compex make me lift more while it is contracting with me?"


It doesn't seem this way because the settings on customisation don't allow enough manipulation of the setting to allow what is theoretically possible. I would advice Compex to look at this because this would take the units to another level

Because with a few tweaks you could set a custom programme that has a 10 seconds phase to work out  rough contraction start then to go to nothing to allow you to load up and get into start position. Next it would be set to contract at an intensity than was just enough to eccentrically lower for 1-2 seconds and then fire up to an intensity that can concentrically raise you back up for 1-2 seconds then repeat and finish after the reps you want to do. 

Currently this ability doesn't exist and could do in future models if they want too.

There is a down side to the custom programming that does exist!

Unfortunately the Mi sensor element is great but isn't available in the custom programs. At first I though it would be fine but I found that I couldn't tolerate the intensity sensation and achieve the stronger contractions that I can on a Mi sensor setting. Further to this it goes into contraction straight ways so I can't get into my start positions beforehand. So I did try to train with them and in the end I decided that I was better going back to the hypertrophy setting using the Mi sensor and the contraction is stronger, more tolerable and I can get in and out of the exercises start and finish positions. The only down side is that it drops in and out of full contraction during the whole set. 

Don't get me wrong this is still a step up from the previous unit and certainly than normal training, so still well worth using!


See you in 2 weeks for my next update!



Telephone: 01782 771861
Mobile: 07866195914
Email: mathewhawkesphysiotherapy@gmail.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The case of the clicky hip (AKA: Snapping hip syndrome)

Patella Tendinopathy

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome